Right here is the scenario on Monday, October 2, 2023.
- Ukraine mentioned its air protection programs shot down 16 of about 30 drones launched by Russia on Sunday. Authorities mentioned civilian infrastructure and grain warehouses have been broken within the Cherkasy area, in addition to within the southern Mykolaiv and jap Dnipropetrovsk areas.
- Russia’s Protection Ministry mentioned its forces’ air defenses in jap Ukraine had intercepted 5 US-made HIMARS grenades, an air-launched JDAM bomb and 37 Ukrainian drones. Kiev launched a counter-offensive in June to retake Ukrainian lands occupied by Russia because it launched its full-scale invasion of the nation in February 2022.
- The Russian Protection Ministry mentioned it shot down six Ukrainian drones over Russian areas and two Ukrainian missiles over Crimea, which Moscow annexed from Ukraine in 2014.
- Ukraine’s Deputy Prime Minister Oleksandr Kubrakov mentioned one other 5 ships have been heading to Ukrainian seaports by way of a brand new agricultural export hall after Moscow withdrew from the United Nations-Turkey-brokered Black Sea grain deal, which allowed secure passage for Ukrainian grain.
- British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak backtracked on a remark by his Protection Secretary that Britain may ship army instructors to Ukraine. Grant Shapps advised the Sunday Telegraph that in addition to coaching Ukrainian troops in Britain, he additionally wished to ship British instructors to Ukraine. Hours later, Sunak mentioned there have been no such plans. “That’s one thing for the long run, not for the right here and now. There aren’t any British troopers who will probably be despatched to struggle within the present battle,” he mentioned.
- After Shapps’ feedback have been printed, former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, who’s now deputy chairman of the nation’s Safety Council, mentioned British troopers coaching Ukrainian troops in Ukraine could be seen as reputable targets for Russian forces.
- Britain’s Ministry of Protection mentioned leaked Russian protection spending paperwork confirmed Moscow was “getting ready for a number of extra years of preventing in Ukraine.” Protection spending is prone to account for 30 p.c of whole authorities spending by 2024, based on the paperwork.
Diplomacy and politics
- U.S. President Joe Biden vowed that assist to Ukraine would proceed to move as he sought to reassure allies of continued help for Kiev after Congress handed a brief authorities funding measure that lower assist to Ukraine. “Certainly not can we enable U.S. help to Ukraine to be interrupted,” Biden mentioned. “We’ve time, not plenty of time and there’s an awesome sense of urgency.”
- Ukrainian Protection Minister Rustem Umerov mentioned he had obtained reassurance about additional army help in a phone dialog with US Protection Secretary Lloyd Austin. Umerov wrote on X, previously often called Twitter, that Austin had assured him that US help for Ukraine “would proceed” and that Ukrainian “fighters [would] proceed to have a powerful backup on the battlefield.”
- European Union international coverage chief Josep Borrell held his first face-to-face assembly with Umerov throughout a go to to Kiev and urged US lawmakers to rethink their determination to chop funding to Ukraine. Borrell advised a information convention that the EU would proceed to help Kiev and was getting ready “long-term safety commitments for Ukraine.” He added that he hoped member states would determine on rising assist “earlier than the top of the yr.”
- The EU’s involvement in Ukraine may come beneath strain after former Prime Minister Robert Fico’s pro-Russian SMER-SSD social gathering emerged because the winner of Slovakia’s elections this weekend. Fico will begin coalition talks to kind a authorities that may probably be part of Hungary in opposing the bloc’s army assist to Ukraine.
- Dozens of individuals in cities throughout Russia held memorials to mark 40 days because the demise of Wagner mercenary chief Yevgeny Prigozhin, hailing him as a patriotic hero of Russia who had spoken reality to energy. Prigozhin was killed in a aircraft crash in August, two months after main a short-lived Wagner mutiny. In Jap Orthodoxy, it’s believed that the soul makes its remaining journey to heaven or hell on the fortieth day after demise.