Because the struggle enters its 636th day, these are crucial developments.
Right here is the state of affairs on Tuesday, November 21, 2023.
- Ukraine stated preventing across the Russian-occupied japanese metropolis of Bakhmut has elevated. Volodymyr Fityo, a spokesman for Ukrainian floor forces, stated Russia centered its assaults on Klishchiivka, a close-by village recaptured by Ukrainian forces in September. “Eleven assaults have been repelled within the final 24 hours,” he stated. “The enemy is attempting to chase our males out of defensive positions round Klishchiivka.” The Russian Protection Ministry stated it had repelled greater than 30 Ukrainian assaults in and round Bakhmut over the previous week.
- Ukrainian authorities stated three folks had been killed and one injured in Russian shelling within the southern Kherson and central Dnipropetrovsk areas. A number of electrical energy strains and a gasoline pipeline had been additionally broken.
- Ukrainian police stated a soldier and a girl had been killed when a grenade exploded in an condominium in Kiev. The reason for the explosion, which injured a second man, was not instantly clear.
- The US State Division stated it’s denying Russian Colonel Azatbek Omurbekov and Russian Guard Corporal Daniil Frolkin entry to the US over their alleged involvement in human rights abuses within the Ukrainian metropolis of Andriivka.
Politics and diplomacy
- Ukraine fired its two prime cyber protection officers – Yury Shchyhol, head of Ukraine’s Particular State Communications Service, and his deputy Victor Zhora – amid an ongoing investigation into corruption in software program purchases.
- Fox Corp CEO Lachlan Murdoch traveled to Kiev, the place he met President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. Ukraine stated the assembly was a “crucial sign” of help at a time when the struggle between Israel and Gaza has diverted international consideration from the struggle in Ukraine. Zelenskyy stated Fox Information journalist Benjamin Corridor, who was severely injured within the battle final yr, and Jerome Starkey, a journalist for British tabloid The Solar, had been additionally on the assembly.
- In an interview with The Solar, which was additionally revealed within the British newspaper Occasions, which is a part of the identical media group, Zelenskyy accused Russia of attempting to stoke pressure from the Balkans to the Center East. “Ukraine at the moment [is] on the heart of those international dangers of this Third World Struggle,” Zelenskyy stated. He urged Ukraine’s allies to proceed their navy help, acknowledging the dearth of progress in some components of the battlefield, but in addition noting successes within the Black Sea. “We really deployed a part of the Russian fleet,” he informed the newspaper. “We did it.”
- Russia positioned the Ukrainian singer Jamala, who gained the Eurovision Music Contest in 2016, on the need checklist. Unbiased Russian information web site Mediazona stated Jamala, whose actual title is Susana Jamaladinova, has been charged below a legislation banning the unfold of false details about the Russian navy and the struggle in Ukraine. Jamala, a Crimean Tatar, has lengthy been a critic of Russia and informed Zelensky final yr that her precedence was to “remind that foreigners got here to my home to kill and maim lives, to destroy my tradition and rewrite”. She responded to the Russian arrest warrant on Instagram with a facepalm emoji.
- A Japanese delegation led by senior business and overseas ministry officers and enterprise representatives visited Ukraine for talks forward of subsequent yr’s Ukraine Restoration Convention, to be hosted by Japan.
- US Secretary of Protection Lloyd Austin made an unannounced go to to Kiev and unveiled a further $100 million package deal to produce artillery ammunition, air protection interceptors and anti-tank weapons. Austin promised Zelenskyy that U.S. help could be for the “long run.” He additionally met with Protection Minister Rustem Umerov.